- Ensure sanitation workers’ safety through the provision of:
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPEs), i.e gloves, masks, full overalls and enclosed waterproof footwear. Particularly where manual sewer cleaning or manual emptying is required.
- Facilities to wash with water and soap after work.
- Facilities for cleaning, disinfection, maintenance and on-site storage of tools and PPEs.
- Vaccination and deworming against diseases relevant to their working conditions.
- Ensure sanitation workers are trained on the risks of handling wastewater and/or faecal sludge and on standard operating procedures (SOPs). Avoid quick rotation of causal workers and monitor proper and safe tasks of sanitation workers.